Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Replacement Windows Lowes Home Depot Or Window World



We want to replace our house's original 40 year old metal framed, single pane sliding windows with vinyl replacement ones. We live in NY state and during the winter if you get within 5 feet of them, you can feel the cold (kinda the opposite of a fireplace).
I've looked at the Thermastar by Pella windows from Lowes, the Amercian Craftsman by Anderson from Home Depot, and from Window World. Anyone have any advice about which way to go? Any of these 3 to stay away from? Any personal experience to share?
I'm at a little of an analysis paralysis stage and not sure which way to go. Let me know if you need anymore information. Thanks for any help.
Mark

Those are all pretty much low-end windows. When I was back in VA, Window World actually used the same windows as HD, only under a different name.
Those windows are sold at a pricepoint, not on quality. You need to step up to the top option/series in any of those brands. Not that they probably won't be better than what you have now, and not that they aren't ok, just not the greatest. I wouldn't have a Pella in my garage though. The others are pretty much the Hyundai Accents of windows. Basic, cheap, not the best quality. Will they do the job, yep, do they have pretty good warranties, yep....would you want to drive them....that's up to you.
Unless your budget is severely limited, I would suggest you need to look upscale a little bit. Maybe some of our Pro's will have some brand recommendations later.
I sold many many AC windows from HD, and overall people were happy with their purchases. The majority of problems were with ordering and manufacturing errors. Some folks apparently had much higher expectations and were never going to be satisfied. What do they expect from a $125 window?

I've had Marvin windows in my own home and my parents replaced all of the windows in their home with Marvin, we've all been pleased

Well I don't think Window World has any step up from what they showed me in sliders (I believe they do have 3 different lines of double hungs). As for the Pellas or Andersons, I think their next step up is a wood window with a cladded exterior if I'm not mistaken, but I imagine that gets much pricier.
Yes - our budget is very limited so price is a huge factor. Getting the 30% tax credit next spring is a big reason we are considering doing the windows at all (we've lived through 2 winters so far). And as you say, any of these windows will be a dramatic improvement over what I currently have.
I'll check out the Marvins - I had forgot about them. What other brands of vinyl windows should I be looking at? Thanks.
Mark

So it looks like Marvin's Infinity line is their non-wood replacement line. I see it's fiberglass instead of vinyl. How does that compare to vinyl?
Infinity from Marvin Replacement Windows | Replacement Fiberglass Windows - Infinity from Marvin

I am very happy with my Soft-Lite windows. You can check their website to see if there is a dealer near you. We ended up negotiating and paying a little more than Window World, but got much better windows.

I had forgotten that AC was now by Andersen...it means nothing. It's like calling an Aveo a Chevy...when it's really a Daewoo.

Originally Posted by Indiana627
So it looks like Marvin's Infinity line is their non-wood replacement line. I see it's fiberglass instead of vinyl. How does that compare to vinyl?
Infinity from Marvin Replacement Windows | Replacement Fiberglass Windows - Infinity from Marvin
Marvins fiberglas is a step up from the vinyl. The big drawback to vinyl in hard climates is that it dries out and becomes brittle after the years. Another benefit IMO is the color seems to hold better as vinyl colors tend to sun bleach after time.
Pella, Marvin, and Andersen will give you the best 'no headache' warranty option, which is very important
Marvin and Andersen use the same glass manufacturer (Cardinal IG which is the 2nd largest in the world.) Glass quality wont be an issue with either of those 2, and absolutely get their LowE.
One thing to note if you are planning on a wood interior/clad exterior window though. All 3 of these have many models that the glass is not replaceable. Be it warranty issue or a rock from the kid next door, your only option will be to go back through them, and at that point you are trying to match the finish of your existing millwork to the primed sash/casement supplied by the manufacturer.
Whichever way you go though, as GunGuy mentioned, step up your budget as far as you can. You will eventually forget about the money you spent on a good window, but a cold one will never let you forget

Thanks for all the advice. Has anyone used the Infinity windows from Marvin?

I put Infinitys in my 2003 home remodel in Minneapolis and can highly recommend them.

I just replaced 13 double hung windows in my home with American Craftsman 8500 windows from Home Depot. It went pretty well, and I think these windows are OK.
I sell real estate, so I see a lot of replacement windows. These are better than the really low end windows. If you're on a budget, I'd consider them.
A couple of things to be aware of:
Don't expect the Home Depot people to be able to answer your questions. They don't know as much about them as I do (although they'll tell you what they think).
Don't get the lower grade windows - stick with the 8500 or 9500.
I keep hearing people talk about the $125 window - mine were higher than that. My windows are approximately 36 X 45, and cost right around $200 apiece in beige. These are Low E, Argon, qualify for the tax credit. I think the price varies depending on where you buy them.

I had another local window company come out and measure and quote. He quoted Sunrise vinyl windows and the Infinity fiberglass from Marvin. The Infinity's are pretty much out of my price range. The Sunrise are a little more than the Window World quote, but I'm wondering if they're worth it. I've never heard of Sunrise. Does anyone have any feedback on them?
I'm looking at their glider series vinyl replacement. Thanks.
Mark

I put in American Craftsman series 3000 windows. They are the highest end American Craftsman windows that HD sold...2 years ago. I am VERY happy with them. Energy efficient and well made. I'm not claiming that they are the best on the market but they are good.
I had to special order them.

Any feedback on the Sunrise windows anyone?
In what order would you rank the Sunrise, Window World, American Craftsman and Thermastar windows?

I installed one A/C replacement window. Very satisfied with it. And I'd plan to replace two more EXCEPT for one thing:
My old storm window will not fit over it! Specs say the window itself is 3-1/4 thick, but the extra lip for the screen adds another 3/8 to 1/2 to the overall thickness. The screen (and channel) is included when manufactured, and you can't get them without that extra lip (or channel). I had to add a 1/4 spacer to move my storm wdo 'out' so I could access the storm wdo knobs.
That extra channel probably adds some strength to the window, but I'm sure they're missing out on a lot of sales because of this.
SteveS

I got quotes on replacing my 13 old windows with new energy efficient double-hungs. I wanted to get this job done before winter and save some money on my heating bill.
I realized I could get a dozen quotes and find a wide range of prices. But I liked that home depot had the best window - Simonton (according to JD Power ranking) and home depot backs up the warranty for LIFE. One other company promised me this lifetime warranty too, but it's no good if the company is out of business. (Lowes only has a 1 year craftmanship warranty)I felt comfortable that home depot would be in business to service my windows for FREE as long as I own my home. Even if I'm mowing my grass 30 years from now and a rock goes through my window, they replace it for free. Who does that?
I feel like I made the right decision. I figured that everyone can install windows and some will charge a little more or a little less. I want to know that I can trust the company to service and warranty my windows AFTER they've been installed.

Tommy. Parts (glass) are usually what is free. Labor is almost NEVER free, so look for a service fee if you ever need any work done.

My fiance often installs windows as part of his job as a Cincinnati door installation contractor. I asked him what he thought about the brands you mentioned. He recently installed the Sunrise windows (a couple of double acting sliding units) and said he had a bit of trouble squaring them up, but overall found them to be easy to install using shims and a little patience.
Originally Posted by Indiana627
Any feedback on the Sunrise windows anyone?
In what order would you rank the Sunrise, Window World, American Craftsman and Thermastar windows?

First you're asking about someone in LA, now you say your boyfriend works in Cincinnati and you supposedly live in IN.
What's your game plan anyway? Are you looking to be banned?
If so, I can accommodate you.






Tags: replacement, windows, lowes, home, depot, window, world, Window World, from Marvin, American Craftsman, Infinity from, Infinity from Marvin