Monday, March 10, 2014

garage-door-opens-6-then-closes



Hello all,
This morning I was having issues with my screw type garage door opener (I believe it's a genie). The door would not open more than 6 or so and then close again. I had to release the carriage and manually slide it open. Once the door was in the open position I re-engaged the carriage and the opener closed it just fine no issues. Any thoughts on what might be causing this strange issue. It's obviously not the lasers or an alignment issue with them as the door closes.
Thanks.

Did the door operate smoothly by hand? Not hard to lift? If so, you may need to slightly increase the up force of the unit. This is pretty common this time of year. Has your weather turned colder?

Yes, smooth as can be, and yes again, the temp dropped to probably the high teens over night I believe.

Found the manual and have a question:
2. Adjust opening force.
• Engage Carriage by pulling Emergency
Release Lever toward Powerhead until
Lever snaps into engaged position.
• On front panel of power head—find adjusting
screw marked “CLOSE.” Fig. 7-2.
• Turn screw gently counterclockwise until it stops.
NOTE: Little force required to move adjusting screws.
Is that right?!?! Adjust the opening force by turning the CLOSE screw??

Well...I just called up a manual...and it says the same thing....very odd? Notice how para 3 also makes no sense? Maybe they just got the titles of the two adjustment paragraphs reversed?

I just emailed genie directly, we shall see...

Sounds like your carriage may be stripped. You can go here for a pic and instructions for replacing it.
Genie Carriage Screw Drive | Genie Screw Drive Carriage

It closes fine. I doubt it would if the carriage were stripped.

Actually....I believe they can be worn to the point where it doesn't work in one direction. The engagement surfaces can wear to the point that it slips past ...but the other side of the teeth that engage when the screw reverses are still good. I don't think that's the case though. Since it moves and then reverses and closes.
I think if it were worn, it might move and then the door would stop...but the screw would keep spinning.

Agreed. Checking the open force when I get home this evening. Thanks all.

About the door closing okay. It is heavy when opening. The weight of the door helps it close.






Tags: garage, door, then, closes, Adjust opening, Adjust opening force, door would, opening force, Screw Drive