Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Best Brand Of Vinyl Replacement Windows ()



I've decided to replace the windows on my house myself this summer. I've got a carpenter friend that has empowered me and will be helping me do the work.
I went to Home Depot to check out their windows (Jeld Wen/ Anderson) and they seem fine.
My question is to someone who has done the research or has experience in the matter. Which is the best brand of window to buy for the DIY group?
My idea is to use the money I save by doing it myself and buying an upgraded window.
Any advice on buying windows would be appreciated.

Most Pro's here have a pretty poor opinion of the 2 brands you noted. At least of their vinyl replacement windows. Andersen doesn't actually make the windows, they bought a company (Silverline) that had distribution through HD in the eastern part of the US.
You didn't say if you were replacing the window frame and all or doing the replacement inserts?
It would also help if you put a general location in your profile, as some peoples preferred brands may be regional.

Personal opinion is Simonton. You may want to call them directly for a local distributor.

I'm replacing the whole window, frame and all. Taking it down to the bare brick.
I live in Chicago.
Just came from Lowe's and saw their Pella's The vinyl replacement double hung looks decent

Never, ever, consider Pella. In 24 yrs as a remodeler, that is the brand I have had the most complaints about. Their service is terrible. IF you make it to the end of their warranty period, forget anything after that.
As suggested above, those of us that do this for a living say, avoid big box, all of them.
Andersen makes wonderful products, I recommend them often, but their recent acquistion of HD vinyl windows is not one of them.

Give a little more time to replys..this is not something you should rush. Are you set on solid vinyl windows?
Does your friend install windows regularly? He should know a bit about different brands. Unfortunately there are several good regional brands that have gone under due to the economy.
You have to ask yourself..how much money can I spend, how long will I be staying here, how much will the windows increase the appeal (not selling price) of my home.
If I was building a new home..I would go with Andersen 400 series.
I sold lots of the HD vinyl windows to people for flips and when they were on severe budget limitations (and I mean severe), but I wouldn't put the Silverline/Andersen/American Craftsman version in any house I was going to live in. They are better than a single pane 60 y/o wood window thats falling apart..but no comparison to some other offerings.

I've given the windows lots of thought and figured I'd save some money by doing it myself.
Just got off the phone with the local shop that came out last year and measured the house. We decided on Simonton Windows.
They will sell me the windows cash and carry but the savings isn't great. Of course they want to install them so my guess is they intentionally price the cash and carry window higher so the customer will just end up letting them do the install.
I've seen their work and they do a fine job. Much better than anything I could do.
My initial plan was to save money by replacing the windows myself. Seems like the question is becoming, is it worth it to install windows myself?
factor in the time and the food and the $ I'd pay my friend, it makes you wonder...
I'm looking at $400-450 per window installed. Cash and Carry about $350

If you havent already made your purchase try
Norandex Distribution Inc
5755 Washington St, Denver, CO 80216 (303) 295-1372
I believe they are the Simonton distributor in Denver. as they are in other cities. With a little pursuation and cash, they may be willing to sell directly to you even if you are not a contractor. If you have trobulbe getting through to the
counter person ask for the branch manager, they almost alway fold under pressure. Just make sure you have your exact sizes and sound like you know what you are talking about. When you buy wholesale, your mistakes are yours.
A card laid is a card played.

I have just decided to replace windows as well. Our current windows are cheap tract homes built in the late 90s. Some don't won't close all the way so the latch never catches, others feel very drafty in the winder that it feels like there's a breeze when you sit by them.
We had a guy come out to give a free estimate and they use Atrium/Superior Windows. They claim to have a lifetime warranty on the window (including accidental glass breakage) and the installation. 13 windows in all - 3 picture windows (non-moving), 4 double hung, 2 bathroom sliders and 4 regular sized sliders for $7000 including installation. Averages about $540 per window. These would be vinyl lowE energy efficient rated for the tax credit.
Anyone know anything about this brand. I just started researching and also conferred with a friend who used to do windows many years ago. I was also thinking about the Renewal by Andersen windows (composite material), but he says that price will be almost double and is not worth the extra in SoCal. Please help me, I am thoroughly confused and is there another brand that I should be checking out? Someone also mentioned insulated glass like commercial buildings, but do they even manufacture these for residential use? Going to another window shop later today hopefully to get a better idea of what I need. Help Please!

You don't say where you are, or I missed it. East of the Miss., consider Viwinco. They made vinyl windows for Certainteed until they sold out to Metal Ind. They bought the license for eastern US. Excellent product, have used them for 18+ years.

Sorry I wasn't clear. I'm in sunny and hot Southern California.






Tags: best, brand, vinyl, replacement, windows, vinyl windows, better than, cash carry, decided replace, decided replace windows, doing myself, double hung