Monday, March 10, 2014

wiring-the-aprilaire-auto-digital-humidifier



Looking for help with similar problem!
I have installed an Aprilaire model 500 Humidifier with the Digital model 60 Auto Controller on an old furnace. The furnace has none of the modern terminal strips or for that matter nothing is even labeled on it. It’s very simple with no Air, just a basic old furnace.
The installation went well then came the wiring nightmares. I acquired an Aprilaire model 50 Current sensing Relay and installed the 24v transformer independent of the furnace power. The problem begins with all of the different wiring instructions provided with the equipment.
The Aprilaire model 50 Current sensing Relay instructions diagram show the following terminal connectors;
R-C : Power from 24v transformer (then jump R to W/G and jump C to Cf)
H-H : one wire runs direct from humidifier, one wire runs to Aprilaire model 50 Current sensing Relay and then to humidifier
ODT : 2 wires from outdoor sensor (this is the only thing that makes sense)
The problem is the the Aprilaire Digital model 60 Auto Controller’s terminals are not labeled the same. They have the R-C A-B ODT W-G H-H Gf.
I have tried every possible scenario that I can dream up with no results. The unit is powered and reading humidity and the bottom green light is on, but that's it.
Has anybody had success with such a installation?

what make and model number of furnace do you have? From there we can provide wiring help.

The furnace is a Luxaire, model number GCU110AF

ok. its really pretty simple, you dont need the current sensing relay with this humidistat.
I recommend turning off the blower activation switch

Nice diagram. Now my question now is where on this furnace do I find the Furnace Control Board?

usually in the blower compartment

Thanks for your input.
They say a picture is worth... you know what I mean. So I have uploaded a few pictures to the following link.
Luxaire Furnace pictures by jamesb53 - Photobucket
I must have not been clear in my original post, I will attempt to state it again. This is an old furnace, possibly 40 years old. The furnace does not have a Control Board or any kind of terminal strips. Also none of the few connections in it have any type of label designating what they are used for.
I believe that this could be easy if this application was on a furnace that has the described terminals and control board but seeing that it does not makes this a little bit more challenging.

what color wires do you have, Low voltage, from the t-stat? You can use my previous picture just use the color wires if they are the same as what I have in the picture.
W= white= call for heat
R=red=24v hot
C=blue=24v common (ground of the furnace) You may not have this wire going to the stat.
G=green=call for fan

I have 2 black wires coming from the House thermostat. They connect to the 24v transformer in the furnace. The transformer is wired to the Red 110v coming from the Fan Limit and the common from the furnace power.
I don't have anything that resembles a G=green call for fan.



Thank you, it worked! After trying all four of the supplied wiring options form Aprilaire, another several possibilities I found online and even input from my local Heating and Cooling company you provided the only correct directions.
Thanks again.

No problem, that's what I do. Wait till you see my bill!!! :)

In the wiring diagrams shown in this thread how do I tell if the wires are just passing by one another or if they are connected?

Logically the top yellow wire would not connect to the same white wire twice. No, they do not connect. It is a simple, fast drawing. You are better off starting your own thread as most need to be wired specific to your system.

thanks I appreciate your help






Tags: wiring, aprilaire, auto, digital, humidifier, control, model, Aprilaire model, Aprilaire model Current, Aprilaire model Current sensing