Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Painting Asphalt Roof



I am about to change the color of my house to a color which will be incompatible with the white roof. The roof is in good shape and I would like to change the color to black. I have used a Black Jack roof coating for sealing other roofs and find it very good, but it dries to a semi gloss finish. I would like soemthing that dries to the flat finish expected on an asphalt shingle roof. Any suggestions?

Welcome to the forums!
I don't know about changing the color that much but you can 'color' an asphalt shingle roof with thinned down latex house paint.... and I do mean thinned down - without about 3-4 gallons of water per gallon of paint. The idea is to mist the roof with the thinned down paint. As with any spray job, care must be used to not let the overspray go where it shouldn't.

Originally Posted by Ian208
The thinned out paint will not hold up under the weather conditions. Try using a light bitumin based coating instead.**************
That is probably what I am looking for. As I said, I have used a Black Jack latex roof coating on other property I have. This seems to apply easily and stand up well. My only objection to it is that it has a semi gloss finish. I am looking for a product that would dry flat.

I notice that Behr sells a roof paint. The local dealer for that is Home Depot, that is not where I would go for advice. Has anyone here had any experience with it?

Have you read the Behr 'roof paint' label? it should specify what substrates it's intended for. It might be for metal roofs.

Originally Posted by marksr
Have you read the Behr 'roof paint' label? it should specify what substrates it's intended for. It might be for metal roofs.
Yes, I visted their web site. It is basically an elastometric (sp?) compund. They list a number of surfaces to be covered and include asphalt shingle.
I have used similarly compounded latex roof sealers previously on asphalt roofing, with good results. They seem to adhere nicely and retain their color, black.
I would consider thinning one of those (water), but they dry to a semi-gloss.
Behr is supposed to dry to a flat finish, I was hoping to hear real world experience with it.

I've used elastromeric coatings before but not with the Behr brand. Mostly I've used the type that helps to waterproof exterior masonry. I have used a little of the roofing elastromeric but it was applied as part of a roofing process involving a membrane laid down in between coats. I've never used any on asphalt shingles.
All the elastromeric coatings I've used have always been a white base. Can it even be tinted enough to give a black finish?

Originally Posted by marksr
I've used elastromeric coatings before but not with the Behr brand. Mostly I've used the type that helps to waterproof exterior masonry. I have used a little of the roofing elastromeric but it was applied as part of a roofing process involving a membrane laid down in between coats. I've never used any on asphalt shingles.
All the elastromeric coatings I've used have always been a white base. Can it even be tinted enough to give a black finish?
Although I can't remember the exact product name, the elastometric I have used is made by Black Jack. It is intended as a roofing sealer. Applied in the correct thickness, it does that very well. It is black, and applied thinly with a roofing brush, it dries to a fairly thin coat. It could be paint. My problem with it is that it dries to a semi gloss.
The stuff is sold at Lowe's, at least locally.






Tags: asphalt, roof, have used, elastromeric coatings, asphalt shingle, Black Jack, Originally Posted, roof paint, semi gloss, thinned down, always been, always been white, always been white base, always been white base even